We've put this post together to help you understand our custom order process and what to expect.
Creating unique, custom, or personalized designs is one of our favorite parts of what we do. Through the process of creating these designs with you, we get to not only hear the unique stories that bring each of you to us but also because you're allowing us the opportunity to contribute to your story and become part of your lives as well.
What We Provide
This page covers requesting us to make you a custom product design. For more information on the services and consultations that we offer, please see our services request page. We’re outfitted with a full woodshop, a 3D laser printer, and plenty of other equipment to help make your dreams come true. While we primarily make our pieces from wood or other natural materials, we’re always excited to experiment with new tools, techniques, and materials. Even if you have a wacky idea that you're not sure about, drop us a line, and we'll let you know what we can do.
Price: How much might this cost me?
Three main factors influence the cost of your item. These include its size, complexity, and materials used. As you can imagine, with increasing size and complexity, also comes an increased cost. While we only use top-notch materials, we also have a variety of premium, exotic, and unique components,
- Size - We're able to work on projects ranging from the size of a grain of rice to full-size commercial signs, and everything in between. If you have an idea of the size you're looking for, it's helpful to include it when you submit your custom design request.
- Complexity - Calculating the complexity factor is itself, very complicated. Complexity is roughly the sum of the amount of time, labor, and skill needed to produce your requested product. For instance, a standard rectangular wooden sign with plain, squared edges is less complex than one with lacey or routed edges. Similarly, a name tag with only a first name is also less complex than one with three rows of text and an image on it. We do our best to optimize our costs and efficiency so that we're able to share these cost savings with you. At the same time, though, know that you will be receiving a custom product, designed and crafted just for you or your special someone(s).
- Materials - One of our core values is never to sell or ship any item that we wouldn't be proud to own and show off ourselves. In that vein, we tend to only make items from higher-grade materials, but there's always something more beautiful available for those wanting to upgrade even further. The inclusion of one or more exotic woods is one of our first suggestions when a customer is seeking something that truly stands out. The variety available can be dazzling, but we've got a handful of favorites that we tend to use for their unique properties and attributes. We also have a page dedicated to showing the variety of woods that we have available, and you can find it over here.
To help us in meeting your needs, we may ask that you (optionally) provide a target budget for your order. Now, we honestly wish that money were not a thing that we have to deal with, but in this world, we must. Know that we understand that we should all be looking to maximize the value of the funds we have. Providing this number either up-front or in the early stages of the conversation helps us to all have level expectations.
Delivery Expectations: How long until I get my custom order?
Until you've submitted your custom design request, it's a bit early in the process to get too specific, but we assure you that we strive to complete and deliver each order as soon as possible. You can usually expect a response to your design request in as little as a few hours.
A few general things to be accounted for when estimating design, production, and delivery timeframes for any custom design are as follows:
- Design revisions - As soon as you submit your design request to Fisharply, our priority is to work with you to make something that's both awesome and meets your needs! While we set out to get it right the first time, there are times when it's not quite perfect until we go back-and-forth a couple of times or more. Because we can't make a product that we haven't completed a design for, ongoing design negotiation will extend the product delivery.
- Inherent waiting times - We may need to create some or all of your order from scratch. Remember that, when applicable, glue takes time to cure, paint and clear coat take time to dry, laser engravings can sometimes take hours to complete, etc. We factor in all of these and more when we respond with the estimated delivery time.
- Package travel time - Using our go-to shipping service, USPS First-Class Package Service, nearly all US destinations receive their orders within three days of shipment. Additionally, we sometimes offer promotions for a free upgrade to priority shipping through avenues such as our mailing list - consider signing up today! We also offer expedited shipping through FedEx, UPS, and DHL for those critical deliveries.
Ready to step up your game and take it to the next level? Submit your custom design request to Fisharply now.
Still have questions?
In case you haven't noticed, we're here to serve you and are more than happy to assist in any way we can. Don't hesitate to reach out to us through any of our published channels.